TechAlliance is the place for dreamers, innovators, and world-changing ideas. We empower world-class ventures and fuel growth in Canada’s innovation economy, while championing, coaching, and amplifying businesses, and fostering a vibrant technology community in Southwestern Ontario.
You are a person who believes in disruptive innovation that stretches the boundaries of what everyone thinks is possible. You are a teammate who is a dream-seeker, risk-taker, and someone who strives to make an impact. We believe in generous vacation time, extra-long weekends, cool perks, health benefits, an incredible workspace, real professional development, and the flexibility to live life on your terms.
About the Role
Reporting to the Communications Manager, the Event Specialist is responsible for assisting with the logistics and execution of an annual suite of experiences. This role is a creative opportunity for an individual who enjoys a diverse portfolio of responsibilities including planning, development, and execution of premium experiences, marketing, and communications.
Occasional work in the early mornings, evenings and weekends may be required. This is a full-time 14-month contract position to cover a maternity leave.
Reporting to the Communications Manager, you will
- Create and execute community-facing experiences showcasing Southwestern Ontario’s innovation economy.
- Manage relationships with experience-related vendors, venues, and speakers.
- Pre-experience planning, creation and management of registration pages, coordinating catering requirements, nametag preparation, organizing speaker needs, writing remarks and acquiring necessary supplies.
- Compose key internal and external communication pieces such as presentation materials, remarks, funder’s reports, copywriting for event pages etc., with consistent brand tone and persona. Develop key messages, quotes, and other editorial materials.
- Facilitate virtual experiences including Zoom preparation, editing of recording and posting to TechAlliance’s YouTube channel.
- Identifying panelists and keynote speakers that align to TechAlliance’s mandate and in-demand topics for entrepreneurs, industry leaders and tech talent.
- Ideating unique ways of delivering experiences to foster a vibrant technology community (i.e. interesting venues/different styles of events/etc.)
- Development of critical paths and/or event plans and budgets for required experiences.
- Support with event promotion, liaising with partners and sponsors and personal correspondence with the target audience.
- Develop relationships within the tech community to amplify good news, celebrate achievements, and share upcoming experiences.
- Continuous learning to deepen your understanding of the tech sector to anticipate opportunities for new experiences, education delivery and amplification of TechAlliance companies.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You Need to Succeed
- Undergraduate degree or diploma in communications, business or public relations with event planning related curriculum.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Dedicated team player who is able to contribute to a vibrant team culture and core values, while prioritizing multiple and changing demands.
- Exceptional attention to detail with excellent planning and time management while working independently and with ambiguity.
- Highly self-motivated, innovative thinker with a creative flair and passion.
- Demonstrated success in building credibility, managing relationships, and proactively collaborating with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Proficient in MS Office 365, Canva, Zoom and Eventbrite; SalesForce and Slack an asset.
- Active participant on social media platforms.
- Valid drivers license and access to a vehicle.
- Resides in Middlesex, Lambton, Oxford, Elgin or Huron county.
Equity & Inclusion – All applications will be kept confidential. TechAlliance is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including BIPOC, francophones, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.
Health & Safety – TechAlliance is committed to protecting employees and others from hazards in the workplace, including infectious and vaccine preventable diseases and to maintaining a protected workforce. In accordance with our vaccination policy, TechAlliance will require all active employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with the exception being those individuals who cannot be vaccinated due to permitted exemptions which are medical and other protected grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code.